The Indian Ocean Research Centre (IORC) was established at Sheridan Institute of Higher Education, Perth, Western Australia in 2022 in response to the urgent need to further develop our understanding and appreciation of the Indian Ocean region.
A key aim of the IORC is to encourage teaching, collaboration, research and publications concerning human activity, past and present, within the Indian Ocean region. These initiatives may include:
• Historical perspectives
• Contemporary security, strategic and defence issues
• The development and challenges facing cultures and countries
• International cooperation and conflict
• Transnational agencies and organisations
• Region and island development and interactions
• Transport and economic considerations
• The relationships between people and their environment
The IORC embraces a multidisciplinary approach to the study and understanding of the Indian Ocean region.